Monday, March 26, 2012

Balance

5/3/1
Cycle 1 / Week 2

Been trying to discover a balance between strength and triathlon training. Sunday was our biggest training day in preparation of this upcoming Sunday's Lavaman Waikoloa Olympic Triathlon. My first triathlon in... 2 years?

This week is 5/3/1's 3rd week in my cycle. It's the biggest week, in terms of 1RM%. With 1 week remaining, it's also my taper week. What to do...?

Should I just bypass my 5/3/1 week and go straight to Unload? Should I abstain altogether and concentrate on tapering?

Aside from squats, I've made significant gains in strength this week. Squat morning was spin hills. Squat noon was a 5 mile run. Haven't run longer than 2 miles for longer than I can recall. It was a heavy day and I only missed my PR by an estimated 2#, so that's a win.

I'm voting to put 5/3/1 on hold in favor of tri-taper. I want to stock up on glycogen in my muscles and build my anticipation of workout neglect to a fever that can only be relieved via Sunday morning's race

No comments:

Post a Comment