Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Relay for Life Run

I had planned ahead to run a marathon at the Relay for Life. I trained hard to do so. And my knees paid the price for it. 3 days prior, I could barely run. So I decided to just walk at the RFL.

Derrik's son James ran for at least an hour. When he stopped I commended him. I was inspired to run. My knees felt okay. It was 1am when I went to the car and put on a long sleeved running shirt. Oops, I left my shorts at home. Oh well, I have these old Saucony running shoes and my board shorts. I can do a few laps with these.

Steady pace. 8-9 minute miles maybe. A few laps turned to twenty. The Speed-O crew's cheers every single lap kept me going. Twenty more laps later, other crews joined in with the cheering and clapping. Aw shucks, I better keep going. I drank 6oz juice every half hour. The li hing mui oranges was a life saver. That and the cheering kept me going for over two and a half hours and 65 laps.

I walked a few laps to stretch out and regain energy. Then the aerobics started. Everyone seemed excited to join in. I saw Uncle Timmy head over so WTF, if that big guy can do it, I can. 30 minutes of aerobics ain't easy after a 15-16 mile run.

Taking down and carrying the tents and supplies was super fun after that. I slept all of Sunday, and don't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment