Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Half Ironman - Done.

Overall
Pos 626/1101
Time 06:26:21
Plc/Total 67/88
Cat M30-34
# 1047
Swim
Cat 66
Ovr 689
Time 41:10
/100m 2:04
Tr1 6:21
Bike
Cat 61
Ovr 560
Time 3:02:38
Mile/hr 18.4
Tr2 5:36
Run
Cat 65
Ovr 691
Time 2:30:38
/Mile 11:30

As you can see from my Cat & Ovr Places, I was fairly average.

The open water swim was more congested than I had expected. The first turn was only about 30 degrees, but there were 1300 of us squeezing through in about 5-10 minutes. I got elbowed a few dozen times. My feet were touched about 60% of the time. Someone actually pulled down on my ankle at one point. The water was warm, calm and glassy. The deepest spots were about 75 ft. I opened up on the second half where I steared away from the pack and was able to stretch out and keep my own pace. Not much time goes into the swim. I feel if my cardio enhances, so will my swim. My technique could always use help but I'm fairly satisfied so far.

I felt best on the bike. Which is funny cause it's the sport which has received the least amount of my attention. I passed people uphill and downhill. I mashed near and through the peaks and attained max speed through to the flats where I coasted/rested a few seconds, then repeated. There were soooo many rule-breakers out there. There was a guy who drafted basically the entire ride. Another rode inside of the white line the entire ride. Only one rider out of everyone that I passed eased up as I called 'your left!'. Joe said he's never seen it like this before. As I passed mile marker 11 on the way to Hawi, Craig Alexander blew past. He was fkn flying it! I realized why after the turnaround. That 900ft climb paid off. There isn't much I hope to improve upon, besides cardio (aerobic work). But I'm always expecting/inviting new methods. Jess' training advice has helped a TON for the bike. I have changed my mind about getting a tri bike so soon.

I had originally thought I had failed big time on the Run, but it wasn't that bad. I walked about half of it. Felt I had ate/drank too much on the bike/run. Plus I had my racing flats in the repair shop so I had my training shoes, which got super heavy when filled with water after dousing myself every few miles. Jess had me focus on running off the bike, but I haven't put enough effort on the runs.

I am glad I was able to finish. Now that I know I can finish, I'll need to get faster. I need to put a LOT more effort into my training. I hope to knock off 1hr by next year.

5 mins off the swim
4 mins off Tr1
15 mins of Bike
4 mins off Tr2
35 mins off Run

My weight got cut down to 160lbs this week. It's an ideal race weight, but I'd still need to replace some fat with muscle. P90X with Eric M-T-Th-F. Master's Swimming on Wednesday. Bike/Run M-F. Tri on Saturday. Rest/Stretch Sunday.

Next up is Joe Wedemann's bike-around-the-island (about 230 miles) on June 20th (I'll do the second half with him), Kona Marathon on June 29th, P-Mango Sprint Triathlon July 12th. I'm looking forward to more races, especially triathlons.

No comments:

Post a Comment