Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Class - Master's Swimming, Hot Feet


View Larger Map

Joining the Hilo Aquatic Club for practice MWF 5:30-6:45am, coached by Jon Hayashida. Today was my first visit with the club and Jon had me jump in to observe my technique... or lack thereof.

Here's a link if you wanna join http://www.hawaiimastersswim.org/clubs.html#HAQ

He was commanding some numbers for everyone to do laps that I didn't understand at all. Something about this many laps at this time or something. I think we did about 8x100m, 400m kick, 400m buoy. I had to rest quite a bit. Haven't done this type of aggressive intervals since Jessica was training me last summer/fall.

Things I learned today and need to practice on:
  • high elbows
  • drag fingers
  • stroke down center
  • hands enter at shoulder width
  • flutter kick (no more dragging legs or kicking on each stroke)
  • rotate hips for legs to rotate
Water was surprisingly warm this morning.

Temp was about 78F during my run from 1-2pm. 6.9mi in 1 hour. iMapMyFitness failed after 3.9 or so miles, then I resumed tracking and it kept reading 5.1miles over and over. I love that iMMF has audial feedback, but hate it's instability.

Love the heat training. Slowly getting acclimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment