Sunday, September 20, 2009

Post-Lavaman Keauhou Party, Peaman Biathlon, Pre-IM Tri Course Preview

Joe hosted a Post-Lavaman Keauhou Celebration where I helped Bill lose in a game of pool volleyball against Mark and Joe. They were snipers against us... well me, particularly.

Food was awesome! Jeremy and Kelly made stuffed pasta shells. Bill and Lorraine brought Chinese Chicken Salad. The guys hibachi'd the chicken I picked up on sale from KTA, while we played vball. Joe and Veronica made fruit salad, hot dogs, burgas (with all kinds of toppins), and best of all... deserts and drinks!

I was about to drive over to Tanner's to stay the night and drive over together to Kona in the morning, when I realized I was missing my charger and my cell was almost dead. So I slept at home. Only, I got about 3 hrs sleep. Meh.

Got to the race an hour ahead of schedule. Oops... Sorry guys!

We were definitely relaxed before the race, with tons of time to prep. We setup a towel to put all 3 of our transition items atop and wipe our feet on.

Peaman gave the race instructions and we were off at the pop/fizz of a 2 liter soda bottle reacted with Mentos. Conditions were a little rough. The currents made me zigzag a bunch. I have never sited soo much in a swim before. At least it wasn't choppy, or tooo choppy. 1200m in 26:30 for a 2:21/100m pace. But I felt like I worked a lot harder than the 1500m last week. My shoulders and chest feel worked. Got bumped a lot more, even though there were 1/4 the participants at most. Got my goggles elbowed, but they hung on tough! Tanner's leaked, though. He should look at a different style.

Transition was kinda fun. Wasted 5-10s getting my running shorts over my speeedo briefs (and untying/loosening them as well). Rinsed my feet, wiped em on the towel, put on socks, shoes in about a minute. Grabbed my water bottle. Up and at em in about 1:15.

I realized after about a mile that... I have never ran immediately after a swim! LOL this is new. I couldn't find my stride, my right calf gave symptoms of an upcoming cramp. Better take it easy. Kept pace with a friendly local Monica for a half mile, then felt okay to move up. While chatting with her, Bree zips past us at an unreal pace, still smiling! Joe crossed me a hundred yards or so from the turnaround. He looked strong though. I told Monica I wouldn't be able to catch him, but I'd try. Before the turnaround, a guy in a black ponytail zooms past me. I barely see him throughout the race. Joe is long gone.

Finished the run with a stick labeled 65. My overall time was 58:00 even. Estimated run was 30:25 for a pace of 7:34. Not too shabby. Tanner came in shortly after. He looked strong at the finish. I still wanna know how Adam trains with 9min/mile runs off the bike, and races at low 7's.

Joe and I later talked stories with the other athletes. The ponytail guy was Fredo. There was another guy around same pace, name Rob (I think... me and names... yeesh), who wore a lauhala hat on the run!

I also bumped into Kris after the race. He didn't race. I offered for him to join us on the pre-course ride, but he was headed out for a long ride on QueenK. He's prepping for Ironman 70.3 Championship! Good luck bro! Good luck to his wife as well, Kim (I think), who is training for Ironman Championship!

Finally got a pic with my Super-Friend Bree! She's gonna rock Ironman 2009 Championship. Representing Hawaii, F.B.I.!

I had called Bree about a description of the TeamMangoRaces Pre-IM Tri course but... me and directions, and times... yeesh. Each bike loop is just under 5 miles, for a total of 3 nasty loops. 1.2mile swim at Kailua Pier (should take me about 42 mins), then ride along Ali'i to Hualalai and up onto Kuakini. Uphill took me about 7 mins (with about 15s of heavy hammering at the end). The remaining ride was about 10 mins. Then, after 3 of those (about 51mins), we get to run it once! 6 mile run which I'll shoot for 7:40 pace (about 45mins). Total time 138mins plus 3 mins transition = 2:21.

No comments:

Post a Comment