Monday, September 28, 2009

Road Trip! MangoMan 2009

Tanner decided not to race at Mango Man on Sunday and I noticed we got the start time wrong. So I called up the boys (Jeremy, Joe and Adam) on Saturday afternoon to let em know we'd be late by half an hour. Turns out we've all been kinda resting the past 2 weeks after Lavaman. The rain hasn't helped our motivation much this past week either. Bill's been going full steam, but he's in Oahu for the week.

I picked Adam's brain for a good hour or so then left with some new tri-shorts, fuel belt, and Heed. He told me about pre-race fuel and why oses (glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc) are bad alone.

Off to get some marinara. Foodland is on the way home. WTF, oh shit Hoolaulea! Place was packed. Found some with maltodextrin near the top of the ingredients list. I missed meat so I added some to my pasta (I had it already defrosting... self-defeating attitude?). Topped it off with fudge sundae ice cream. Oses!

Tried to hit the hay by 9am. Woke up every 2 hours on the dot (11, 1, 3). Re-heated yesterday's whole-grain banana pancakes and ate 3 on the way to town, dipping them in blueberry syrup. More yummeh oses!

We all pack into Joe's truck outside of Hilo Bike Hub at 4am. Not sure if squeezing in 4 bikes was tougher than 4 guys into an extended cab. Joe and Adam entertained us with stories. Jeremy vibrated the entire truck while telling us about a car he was following on the way to Lavaman. The "I just said that, dumbass" game unofficially began midway on this trip. Joe got the first point when Adam made the same topical joke Joe told a minute earlier. We made a pitstop at Chevron Waimea to unload, fuel the truck, and answer questions about triathlons from the attendant. This quickly became a history class on bicycle frame construction, which Joe interrupted before we were a day late for the race.

Fastforward to the pier. We got there around 6:30am. I felt relaxed while gathering my gear.


I'm finally not stressing out about having everything. Even if I'm missing something, like gels, the world isn't over. I had enough pre-loaded and I have my Endurolytes.

tires - pump pump pump!
tri-suit - run to King Kam hotel to change... check! On the way back, Macca and a pack of 8 rode past. Cool beans. But I didn't get too excited like my usual schoolgirl cheerleader self. Weird.
swim cap - check
swim goggles - check
socks - check
bike shoes - check
helmet - check
sunglasses - check
run shoes - check
fuel belt - check
watch - oops!
water bottles - empty! run to the faucet... yummeh.. extra chlorine!
Endurolytes - 2 pre-swim, 3 for the bike, 2 for the run (just in case)


Joe, Adam and Jeremy are getting course directions from the race director, Carl Koomoa. The water was choppy and the turnaround buoy wasn't visible (1km out). The water was choppy. I inhaled a buncha water. I wanted to see big fishies. I only saw little ones. I followed Jeremy the entire way, but still sighting more than I've ever done before. On the way back, I aimed for the big antennae tower. That seems to work. Jeremy and Adam mentioned a ginormous Honu. Dang I missed it. But a school of little fishies swam with me for a minute or so. That's when I found my rhythm and just glided through the water. Wish I could glide a lot faster though lol. 1.2 mile swim in about 43 mins.

Jeremy got in 30 secs earlier and waited for me so I could show him the bike route. He had trouble getting his tri-top on so I got up to help him, but he finally got it on. Turns out Joe had to do the same for Adam LOL. He broke loose up the hill and I tailed him the entire bike. My stomach was hating all the saltwater. Breath breath breath. There was a fresh blacktop on Kuakini, which was nice and smooth and added some grip. Each 500ft climb got easier. 15 mile bike, 1500ft total climb and equal descent, 3 loops in... oh yeah forgot my watch. Carl said my time was about 1:30 including the swim.

Still about 30 secs behind Jeremy. I tried to relax on the run. I tense up on race days. Aww... gotta piss again. Found a hedge and used it early this time. Ahhh feelin good... Awww... gas. My stomach is busy. Better take it easy. I walked on 2 steep portions of the climb. I tried to break loose at the top but felt my quads tighten up. Jeremy really picked up his pace on the last 4 miles of the run. I ended up 4 minutes behind him at 1:31.30. I think my run was about 9min pace. His was an 8. 6 mile run, 500ft climb, same descent, 55min run or so.

Cooled down in the freezing shower. I swear the shower water is colder than the water fountain. They must be pumping from OTEC, hah.

And now for the best part. Beef Stew!!! Wow, I love these guys. A full platter of warm rice and a giant pot of steaming beef stew. Delish.

I moaned about my ankle that's been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. But it was only a problem AFTER the run.

Saw Bree, Carl, Kris, Monica. Met Pablo, Rob VanUltraMan (Jeremy's nick for him). I love this sport and the people who make it lovable.

No comments:

Post a Comment