Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Relax, breathe... don't panic, get past the pain... enjoy the runasy

1200 Road Run

12min warmup (1.25 miles)
3min stretch
35 pushups
30 modified bicycle kick
20 widearm pushups
HRMax 168
HRAvg 153

15min easy (1.75 miles)
HRMax 171
HRAvg 166

1240
40min med (5 miles)
HRAvg 169
HRMax 177

I learned a little about efficiency on the run today.

My calves were tight for the past 2 days, but I really felt it today. I pushed off my toes for the majority of the run.

I used the green shoes today, with Yanks on for the first time. The support distribution and elastic really took the pain away from the top knot area.

Breathing was tough the last 20 mins. I felt a mild, dull pain on the right-front area my rib cage, about 3" below the sternum when breathing. There wasn't as much pain around the fracture area because I've been controlling my breathing. But that maybe why the pain transferred to the muscles helping to compensate.

On the last mile, I began to lose form and posture. I was making facial expressions of someone in agony. I had to remind myself to relax, run tall, and breathe easy. This conserved energy and I was able to convert it to more speed with the same HR.

Took a quick dip in the pool to cool off and did some golf drills. Was able to easily do 19/18, then 19/19 after a 10 second rest. But that put some pressure on the fracture, so I did some balance and Sweet Spot drills. Bleh. No idea what I'm doing.

I really miss swimming. I might have to give it up for a short while so I can truly enjoy it when I'm able to. I have a bone scan scheduled for Dec 4th, and a followup visit with the Doc on Dec 17th. I don't want to have to wait that long to swim... I'm just gonna test it by feel every few days.

Jess will keep me busy with strength training and a bit of cycling. I won't have the stoke for cycling until I get my awesome bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment